- Boil the kettle, add your 2 cans of condensed milk to a deep saucepan..please don’t forget to remove the label..that shit drives me insane! (should be deep enough to cover the top of the cans- recommend at least 2cm overhead )
Pour boiled hot water into saucepan with cans, add to medium/high heat for 2 hours..
- During this time the water will evaporate frequently. I set a 30 min time limit for when the water should be topped up (with boiling kettle water)..water should always be covering the tins! (makes for an even thickening)
- Add Digestives to blender with melted butter & Golden syrup (i melted them in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins). Mix thoroughly.
If you don’t have a blender: smash biscuits with rolling pin or crush evenly with hands, ensure smooth,bump free crumbs
- Add Biscuit mix to the base of a baking tin (I used my housemates rounded baking tin). Press down hardmaking sure to get all the corners evened out & levelled.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins on 180F (I have a shitty fan oven so it took a little longer than expected).
Once Golden remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 mins, spread caramel thinly over the biscuit base and stick into the freezer for 1 1/2 hours
- Once the Dulce cans have cooked for 2 hours remove from heat, and remove remaining hot water & add a batch of cold water to the pan..allow to cool for 30 mins (in the cans!! don’t remove from cans until cooled!)
- Once the Dulce has cooled, spoon out the contents into a saucepan (get every little sweet bit!) add to saucepan with milk, put on medium/high heat and stir continuously until the dulce has completely incorporated into the milk, it took me about 20 mins to stir and get the mixture lump free. DO NOT STOP STIRRING CONSISTENTLY– this mixture is sweet, if you don’t stir properly (incl the bottom or sides of the pan) the mixture will burn!TIP: Use a spoon to scoop upwards from the bottom of the pan, if you can see small little Dulce bits you’re not done yet! the mixture should be like a beige milk – no bumps or lumps
- Once the mixture is silky smooth, remove from heat and let rest until it has completely cooled.
- Add eggs and lime zest to separate bowl and whisk until incorporated.
- Once Dulce milk has cooled completely, add eggs & zest mix, whisk together until there is a united colour. DO NOT mix Dulce milk to egg mix if it has not completely cooled!! the eggs will cook and you’ll get a lumpy mixture (& most probably have to start again)
- Remove biscuit base from freezer (if you followed the steps an hour should have passed by now)
- Add Dulce Milk over caramel biscuit base
See those little bubbles on top of your mixture? scoop them up and remove with a spoon ( but don’t be OCD about it)
- You will need to bake the flan in a water bath, so boil the kettle- add boiling water to larger baking tray (the water should come up about 2/3 up the side of the flan pan)
Bake mixture on 160F for 45 mins
- Once the flan has cooked allow to cool for 5 mins (I let it rest on my kitchen window..felt like some sort of Disney character lol)
- Slice strawberries, add sugar and lime juice, & toss! (do it like a pro), add sliced strawberries on top of flan & decorate.. (I added a single slice of lime on top of the strawberries to get a strawberry stained effect on the lime)
- Put Flan into fridge for 2-3 hours
- Once the Flan has been chilled, add your flan into a Hot water bath – Boiled kettle water (again should be 2/3 high up the side of your tin) for 5 mins only
- & Voila enjoy! Amazing. Creamy. & Sweet